This position will perform various tasks required to maintain and expand the Mattress Recycling Council (MRC) program in designated parts of California. The ideal candidate must reside in northern California.
About the MRC
The International Sleep Products Association (ISPA) created the Mattress Recycling Council, a non-profit, to design and implement mattress recycling programs pursuant to mattress recycling laws enacted in California and two other states. MRC’s objectives are aligned with these laws: to promote and encourage the proper recycling of mattresses at end of life.
Scope of Work
In 2013, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and California enacted mattress recycling laws creating the statutory framework to fund the collection, transportation and recycling of discarded mattresses. California’s mattress recycling program began December 30, 2015. Important information about the California program is described in that state’s mattress recycling law (SB-254, as amended, and SB – 1274).
MRC has designed the California mattress recycling program to meet the requirements of the law, regulations and program plan. To fund the program, retailers collect an $11 per unit fee from the sale of each mattress sold in California. Those fees are remitted to MRC and the fees to pay for transportation, recycling, consumer education, enforcement and program administrative costs. To consumers, the program is promoted as Bye Bye Mattress.
- Solid Waste Facilities:
- Maintain and expand MRC’s no-cost mattress collection network in territory. Establish professional relationships by visiting eligible solid waste facilities that either are, or could be participating in the program. Effectively describe program and contracting options with the goal of expanding the network.
- Validate monthly solid waste facility handling invoices in conjunction with MRC accounts payable
- Maintain collection site compliance through site visits and regular audits or as needed to troubleshoot and maintain successful relationships
- Serve as primary point of contact for special/large volume collection events
- Mattress Recycling Facilities:
- Regularly visit and understand details of mattress transportation and the recycling process, including reporting requirements
- Validate monthly recycler invoices
- Maintain recycler contract compliance through regular visits and audits
- Illegal Mattress Dumping Initiative:
- Assist participants with questions, reporting and documenting illegal mattress dump clean-up activities
- Recruit and promote the program with eligible entities in territory
- Mattress retailers:
- Respond to mattress retailer phone calls and e-mails
- Work cooperatively with CalRecycle mattress enforcement team to drive retailer compliance This may include site visits of mattress retailers to verify compliance with the mattress recycling law
- Assist in developing and disseminating state-specific public education and outreach campaigns in conjunction with MRC public relations staff. Duties may include distributing information materials to mattress retailers and other stakeholders
- Attend regional solid waste and recycling conferences and meetings to promote the MRC
- Maintain Salesforce CRM of mattress collection sites, recyclers and transporters while respecting the confidential nature of MRC business data and the parties with which MRC does business
- Collect, analyze and assist in preparation of MRC’s CalRecycle annual report
- Work cooperatively with other California Program staff to create an effective, efficient and state-wide recycling program
- Other tasks as necessary
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- While preferred candidates will reside in Sacramento or San Francisco Bay area to minimize travel time and expenses, MRC will consider all applicants residing in the northern half of the state
- Experience with and/or knowledge of municipal solid waste and recycling systems, laws and regulations
- Experience/familiarity working with governmental agencies, non-profit organizations, recyclers and business professionals
- Experience with and/or knowledge of retail operations, transportation logistics and communications
- Experience with and/or intimate knowledge of municipal recycling programs or product stewardship laws, familiarity with mattress products
- Sales Force CRM experience
Mandatory Skills & Qualifications
- S. from accredited four-year college/university
- Candidate must have a suitable home office with strong internet connection and cell phone connectivity. A quiet work environment is required for taking phone calls. Employee will work independently and must have excellent time management skills
- Employee must provide vehicle appropriate for professional meetings, have a valid driver’s license, and carry current motor vehicle liability insurance including $500,000 liability insurance. MRC strongly prefers our staff use vehicles rented under MRC’s contract rates to minimize costs for the organization and risk for employees.
- Travel is required to visit solid waste facilities, recyclers, retailers and other entities involved in the program. Travel time will vary, may exceed 50% of the time, and may include overnight and weekend travel
- Strong communicator with public speaking, training and/or presentation experience
- Fluent with technology and Microsoft office suite
This is a full-time salaried telework position; salary commensurate with experience. MRC provides an extensive benefit package.
For consideration, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org