As many of us can attest, the past two years have been anything but normal or predictable. Here at MRC, virtually every aspect of our recycling programs was affected and to my surprise – with many positive outcomes. Most of the MRC team has always worked nimbly and nomadically which inadvertently prepared us for effectively managing disruptions throughout our supply chain.
MRC is now entering our 7th year of operations. We are a mature product stewardship program that has recycled over 8 million mattresses and box springs from across our programs in California, Connecticut and Rhode Island. Despite the pandemic, we expanded program access, increased recycling rates and drove efficiency through process changes.
As a subscriber to this monthly newsletter, you know about our research to improve the recyclability of old mattresses, efforts to mitigate illegal dumping, and work with mattress manufacturers and component suppliers to promote circularity. Next month, we’ll return to our regular format, but today I’d like to extend a special thanks to everyone who supports our programs including:
- the members of the mattress industry and solid waste community that serve on our board, participate in our committees, and provide valuable feedback to improve our programs
- the over 300 transfer stations, landfills, retailers, and nonprofits that serve as public collection sites in their communities
- our contracted transporters that haul over 15,000 loads of old mattresses annually
- our contracted recyclers that become more efficient every year while also increasing their recycling rates
- city, county and state staff that champion our Bye Bye Mattress brand by sharing, posting, liking and tweeting recycling information with residents
- our public sector partners at California’s Department of Resources Recovery and Recycling (CalRecycle), Connecticut’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) and Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation (RIRRC)
- everyone at MRC and the International Sleep Product Association (ISPA) – I am very thankful for your commitment and support
As we move into a new normal, the industry is looking to replicate our program in other interested states by working with recycling champions to pass new mattress recycling legislation. We are ready for new challenges and hope to expand our footprint in the new year.